What to do this year
Start the conversation now.
What do you want to be when you grow up, and what do you want your life to look like? It’s never too early to start thinking about your future.
- Talk to a parent or other adult about what you like to do, what you’re good at, and what you want for your future.
- Sign up to be a StepUp Utah Scholar and learn how the program can help you be ready for college.
Learn about yourself.
Finding out more about what makes you, YOU, can help prepare you for decisions about your future.
Make your high school plan.
Make a plan for the classes you’ll take in high school, and go over it with your parents.
- Schedule a meeting with your school counselor to discuss what classes you should take in high school. Some questions to ask yourself before talking to them:
- What kinds of subjects do you enjoy the most?
- Do you have a particular career in mind? A place you want to live? Or a lifestyle you want to lead?
- Are you interested in earning college credit while still in high school? Learn about taking advanced placement or concurrent enrollment.
- Learn about the Regents’ Scholarship requirements and the recommended high school classes; these requirements are designed to help you take the right classes in high school.
Prepare for high school classes.
What kind of high school student do you want to be? Now is the time to decide.
- Learn good study habits and test-taking skills.
- Read about how GPA is calculated and why it matters for college. Look into what GPA is required for college acceptance at some colleges you are considering.